Meatballs are typically made with egg and breadcrumbs, neither of which the allergy baby can have! Having an allergy baby, you learn the art of substitution, so here is my take on some fantastic meatballs!
- 2 pounds ground meat (chicken, pork, turkey or beef)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 egg- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup oats (this replaces the breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (optional)
- salt/ pepper to taste.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray to prevent sticking.
Make the “egg” and set aside. This takes a couple minutes to form the egg- like substance.
Combine all other ingredients, adding the flax egg last.
Form into small meatballs and drop on baking sheet. Approx. 25 meatballs
Bake for 25-30 minutes.
I made good old fashion spaghetti and meatballs with these. Who does not love that?! It has always been a favorite for me, my husband could do with out, Lucy loves it, and Hazel just prefers the meatballs themselves!
Here is my sauce recipe:
- 28 ounces diced or petite tomatoes
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 2- 6 ounce tomato paste
- This is where I just dump stuff, so add how you like it: minced garlic, basil (fresh is best, but not always available), salt/pepper, rosemary, oregano and parsley.
Put all the above ingredients into a crock pot on low for 8 hours. Your house will smell fantastic and it will taste even better!
This was from a little while back… But this pretty much sums up spaghetti nights!