Vegan + cheese is not something I’m totally into. I ❤️ cheese. All of it. Mac and cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods! So… I challenged myself to find a vegan recipe for Hazel.
Click here for Hazel’s story!
It turns out there are some options. I found this recipe using nutritional yeast and vegetables to make a “cheese” sauce so I thought I would give it a try. I had never heard of nutritional yeast until now, it seems many people use it as a cheese substitute.
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 12 ounces pasta
- 1/2 c. nutrional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt/ pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Boil (in two cups of water) the vegetables and onion until they are done and soft.
- Cook pasta according to the directions.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the cooked vegetable. Purée and set aside. I used a hand blender, but a regular blender would work as well.
- And lastly… Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta!
Well, Lucy liked it! 😃 Hazel has been sick the past couple days, so it was probably not the best time to try something new on her.
I will level with you, had I never had REAL mac and cheese I would say this is pretty good. But you can not help and compare to the good stuff…